Friday, November 7, 2008

T4K - what it means in Russian language

I tried googling "t4k" to find out what it means in Russian language. But at my great surprise there was no answer to my question. I chatted with my old friend who is a Russian English translator and he used this T4K at the end of our conversation. And the next day I decided to ask him about this word. He said that T4K is an abbreviation that stands for "to4ka" or "tochka", and "4" stands for "ch" which is ч in Cyrillic alphabet. Tochka means Period. And people started to use this "expression" after one old Russian cartoon - Derevnya v Prostokvashino. Actually they used "t4k" in telegrams back in an old days.
Isn't it an interesting etymology of this abbreviated word?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Legend of the Russian Empire's Cast-Iron Medal for Heavy Drinkers

Here's an interesting fact about drunkards in the Russian Empire during the Peter the Great times. They were commonly referred to as &qu...